PCOS is an acronym for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This condition in women is responsible for causing changes in hormone levels that can lead to various health problems. In this condition, the female body produces several male hormones that are higher than normal. This hormonal imbalance leads to causing difficulties in getting pregnant and irregular menstrual cycles. However, with the advancement in the field of medicine, many treatments have been introduced and females can conceive easily and get to know about their cases in-depth by getting in touch with some of the top IVF clinics in India.
The exact cause of PCOD is not known but the studies reveal that increased production of male hormones leads to the prevention of the production of female hormones in appropriate amounts and improper egg formation.
Other than this, insulin resistance, genes, and inflammation are also known to enhance androgen formation. Connecting with one of the best IVF clinics lets you be more aware of the disease.
The researches show that PCOD can be the result of genes running in the family. The history of the disease can be genetic.
- Insulin Resistance
Released from the pancreas, the hormone insulin helps the body to use sugar from food. If the cells use insulin inefficiently, the demand for insulin increases in the body, and to compensate for this situation, the pancreas starts releasing more insulin. The overproduction of insulin causes the ovaries to produce more androgen.
It can be noticed that women with PCOD have high inflammation levels. There is an increase in inflammation level if you are overweight and this inflammation is responsible for enhanced androgen levels.
- A common symptom of PCOD is the irregular menstrual cycle. In the absence of ovulation, the uterus lining is prevented from getting shredded every month. Some women may even experience less than 8 periods in 12 months.
- The excessive production of male hormones leads to oilier skin and production of acne and leads to breakouts on the chest, upper back, and face. These hormones can also cause excessive hair growth on the female body. This condition is termed hirsutism.
- When you experience periods, it is a possibility that they can cause heavy bleeding as compared to normal conditions. This happens because the uterus lining has been built for a long time.
- Another very common symptom of PCOD is male-pattern baldness. Your hair can get thin over some time and start falling out.
- The hormonal changes can lead to headaches and getting obese.
You may not be able to detect the condition by yourself and therefore, whenever you feel uneasy or confused, it is always better to visit the best IVF centre and connect with an experienced gynecologist.
You can browse through Google and look for the best IVF clinic in Mumbai to get yourself treated properly and carefully.
Treatment for PCOD:
Usually, a doctor diagnoses by looking for these 3 main symptoms:
- Increased androgen levels
- Polycystic ovaries
- Irregular periods
Blood tests, ultrasounds, and pelvic examination are some of the major methods that help the doctor to detect PCOD.
Generally, the treatment involves changes in diet and lifestyle management. In case you are overweight, losing 5 to 10 percent of your body weight can help in making the situation better. A low glycemic index diet helps make the periods regular to some extent.
The medical treatments involve the use of progestin and estrogen daily to restore normal hormone levels. A drug named Metformin helps in restoring the insulin levels and aids in making your periods regular. If the medications do not help, the last option is to perform ovarian drilling that leads to the formation of holes in the ovary using laser technology to facilitate ovulation.